Pages

Translate

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

DFI 7: Devices

Today's DFI session gave us an opportunity to explore the devices our students using. Along with all Manaiakalani schools, we have 1:1 Chromebooks from Year 4-6, and our junior school students use iPads.

Unfortunately for many of us this morning the latest update of Grid View was not co-operating, however with a bit of perseverance and problem solving I was able to get back on track with today's learning. The up-side to all of this was that my understanding our how the Google Admin console operates is improving!

The first part of today was focused on Cybersmart, which was timely after a few issues we have had with our students this week. I love the saying "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" and is an important lesson for my students. I think the term Cybersmart is very appropriate as unfortunately, we can not guarantee that children will be safe using online platforms. It is our responsibility as educators who provide digital learning to inform our children about the best ways to reduce the risks that come with using online devices.
.
Each year the wonderful Manaiakalani facilitators modify and adapt lessons for us to implement around Smart Learners, Smart Footprint and Smart Relationships. I know our facilitator Kelsey Morgan has spent many hours making meaningful content for our learners, reducing the workload for us as teachers. I didn't realise that in total there are resources for a total of 10 different Cybersmart content areas. My hope is that if Cybersmart is done effectively our tamariki will develop into teenagers and adults that can make better choices about how they behave online. Fiona did acknowledge that ideally, we would incorporate Cybersmart in our everyday learning programmes however I agree that in some cases some of the content needs to be specifically taught and then followed up within our teaching and learning programmes. The session was a timely reminder about the importance of our Cybersmart curriculum and that while I am involved in reviewing our school curriculum, this needs to be included.


The next part of the day was an opportunity to experience the devices our students use daily. Using a Chromebook I went through a "digital dig..." reminding me of shortcut keys and the layout the children experience on their device.
My digital dig using a Chromebook

We then moved on to exploring how iPads are used in the Junior school, mainly through the Explain Everything app (EE). This is an app that I have not explored for many years so it was great to see the changes. We were given the opportunity to have a 'play' with a selection of resources made for junior-aged students by Manaiakalani teachers. Below are two examples of the use of EE.


Our 'create' task for the day was to create or repurpose a Cybersmart lesson and use EE, Screencastify or Hāpara workspace as a medium for our creation. I combined two lessons within the Smart Surfing Cybersmart concept. I decided to adapt the task to fit in with a reading theme on Sharks I would like to create for my children. My aim was to provide my students with an opportunity to learn how to use Google to search for information using keywords and methodical way. Below is my Screencastify talking through a potential lesson.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Kate, thanks for sharing aniother wonderful DFI session. I'm pleased you have identified Cybersmart being included in our updated curriculum document ... absolutely necessary! Plenty to share with staff next term.

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about